Monday, June 28, 2010
Gulf of Mexico Series: Sarabeth 1
I lived in Pensacola, FL for 18 years, with a semi-pause for college just three hours down the road. Even then, our respite from the college life was the beach that bordered the Gulf of Mexico. For the next 14 years, I lived other places, but no where did my inside self find the same peace that I find in an instant when next to these waters. The past three years, my family and I have called New Orleans home. We, the residents of the Gulf, and anyone who makes their living from the sea are confronted with an oil spill that has run mostly unchecked for two months. By all accounts we have another month and a half before any real relief.
Carol asked, and I agreed to share my photos of the Gulf of Mexico and its beaches and communities. I'll do before and after shots. This one is of the fishing pier on Pensacola Beach, Florida as it stood in 1970. The photo is faded, but you can see the clear water at the shore and the unlittered beach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I think this project is a great idea! I'm glad you agreed to it.
Sarabeth, thank you very much for agreeing to do this extra project. I think it's important to share the beauty of the beaches, as well as the sorrow of what happened.
Post a Comment