Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sarabeth's 7th

Less than a block from house is one of the graveyards filled with crypts. Here in New Orleans and southern Louisiana people are buried above ground so that don't float out of the ground due to how close we are (and sometimes under) sea level. This is a photo of one of the bricked up openings for the mausoleums behind an iron fence.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

MaryFran said...

Crypts can be so ornate and pretty in a morbid kind of way.

carleewandowski said...

I love New Orleans. Been there 2 times, both before Katrina. But, I'd love to take my husband down there to see it. Amazing place. Beautiful and full of history. The cemeteries are beautiful and strange at the same time. I look forward to your photos there because I loved that city so much when I was there.

**Colleen** said...

We have mausoleums here as well...would love to see more pics from this graveyard sometime. I find a lot of beauty in old cemeteries...amid the sadness.

Sarabeth said...

Carol, I'll try to take more photos around town throughout the year.

Colleen, I'm not sure I'll take more photos in the cemeteries, but who knows.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Very fab.